products > furfural
Furfural is a member of the family of heterocyclic compounds known as the furans, which are charactrerised by a nucleus consisting of a doubly unsaturated ring of four Carbon atoms and one Oxygen atom. Furfural is an aldehyde with the (-CHO) group located in the 2 position of the furan ring. It is obtained industrially from pentosan containing agricultural residues such as corn cobs, bagasse, cottonseed hulls, oat hulls and rice hulls.
Furfural is a clear yellowish to brown liquid with a typical almond smell and shows characteristic properties of aldehyde and furan rings. It mixes readily with alcohol and ether. When exposed to air, a decolourisation takes place increasing acidity and polymer formation. In the absence of oxygen Furfural possesses a high thermal stability.
|1||Purity||w/w||98.5 % (minimum)|
|2||Moisture||w/w||0.2 % (maximum)|
- Chemical intermediate product for the production of Furfuryl alcohol, tetrahydrofuran, tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol, furan, polyoxytetramethyl alcohol etc.
- Selective solvent in lubricant refinery for separating aromatic compounds and other unsaturated compounds.
- Solvent for anthracene and resins.
- Extractive distillation of butadienes.
- Marking agent for fuel.
- Reactive solvent and wetting agent in the manufacture of abrasive wheels and brake linings.
- As an insecticide/ fungicide / germicide (Nematicides).
- As a flavor / aroma compound.
- Treatment of timber wood against infestation.
MSDS available in Downloads section